MarkGunter.net - nada y nada & yada yada yada
1700 - 1880
Saturday, Apr 23, 2016 by MarksCarts *
The following is an accurate, so far as I am able to determine, accounting of my lineage, covering the six generations from 1700 - 1880. It begins with John Gunter, a pre-Revolutionary War American who resided in the Virginia colony and worked as a surveyor, and carries through to P. C. H. Gunter, my great-grandfather, who served for Tennessee in the Civil War. Several of my ancestors fought for this new country in the Revolutionary War, the War of 1812, and for the Confederate States of America in the War Between the States.
I'm just posting here a skeletal summary of the lineage, with very few notes. In the days ahead, I will post information and stories of some of the individuals mentioned here, in order to flesh out these bones a bit. Dear visitors of this page, if you have any information to add, please comment in the section below using your facebook account.
1. John Gunter(1), a surveyor, b. ca. 1705 in Turkey Island, Henrico County Virginia, d. ca. 1784.
+ Sarah Goodson, m. ca. 1729, b. ca. 1709 in Chesterfield County, Virgina
- John Edward Gunter(2), b. ca. 1730
- David Gunter, b. ca. 1736
2. John Edward Gunter(2), a farmer, b. ca. 1730 in either Chesterfield County Virginia or Guilford/Rockingham Counties, North Carolina, year of death unknown.
+ Amy Tillotson, m. ca. 1750 Granville, North Carolina, b. ca. 1733 in Virginia
- William Gunter(3), b. ca. 1755 North Carolina, d. ca. 1830 North Carolina
- John Gunter, b. ca. 1752 North Carolina, d. August 28, 1835 in Guntersville, Alabama
- Joel Gunter, b. 1754, d. August 22, 1829 Warren County, Tennessee
- Augustus Gunter, b. 1769, d. ca. 1843
- Claiborne Gunter, b. 1770, d. unknown
- Elizabeth (Betsy) Gunter, b. ca. 1769, d. unknown
- James Gunter
3. William Gunter(3), b. ca. 1755 North Carolina, d. after 1830 in Haywood County, North Carolina
+ Rachel Nancy Ann Williams (Cherokee Indian) m. 1778 South Carolina
- Daniel Gunter
- William Wilson Gunter, b. ca. 1784
- David Gunter, Sr.(4)
- George Gunter, b. ca. 1786
- John Gunter, b. ca. 1788
4. David Gunter, Sr.(4), b. ca. 1786 Laurens County South Carolina, d. 1869 Jackson Township, Kosciusko County, Indiana
+ Sara Latham (Cherokee Indian) m. ca. 1809, b. ca. 1786 Buncombe County, North Carolina, d. 1850 Jackson Township, Kosciusko Co, Indiana
- David Gunter, Jr.(5), b. ca. 1809 Laurens, South Carolina, d. 1881 Jackson, Kosciusko, Indiana
- William Wilson Gunter, b. ca. 1810, d. 1899
- Andrew Jackson Gunter, b. March 5, 1813, d. February 5, 1871
- George W. Gunter, b. 1817, d. 1889
- John Gunter, b. ca. 1819
5. David Gunter, Jr.(5), b. 1809 Laurens, South Carolina, d. ca. 1880 Jackson, Kosciusko, Indiana
+ Nancy Anna Owens, b. 1816 North Carolina, d. 1881 Tennessee
- Pleasant Calvin Houston Gunter(6), b. 1841 Jackson, Alabama, d. 1913 Morgan, Tennessee
6. Pleasant Calvin Houston Gunter(6), b. June 23, 1841 Jackson County Alabama, d. 1913 Morgan, Tennessee
+ Mary Elizabeth Hodge, m. Dec 24 1863, b. Jun 10, 1841 North Carolina, d. Jun 15, 1881
- Hulda Ann Gunter, b. Nov 25, 1864, d. Apr 4, 1956 Morgan Co Tennessee
- Fanny C. Gunter, b. Sep 24, 1866 Tennessee, d. Dec 11, 1947
- Dora F. Gunter, b. Jun 16, 1869 Tennessee, d. 1903
- Charles M. Gunter, b. Jan 7, 1871 White Co Tennessee, d. Mar 26, 1949 Morgan Co Tennessee
- Alice L. Gunter, b. ca. 1873, Tennessee
- Margaret Gunter, b. ca. 1875, Tennessee
- William H. Gunter, b. Mar 15, 1876 Morgan Co Tennessee, d. Feb 10, 1947 Lancing, Morgan Co Tennessee
+ Darthula Dodson, m. Mar 20, 1886 Morgan Co Tennessee, b. Feb 26 1850 White Co Tennessee, d. Dec 24, 1938
- Malinda Gunter**, b. Apr 1885, d. 1914 ???
- Ella May Gunter, b. May 1, 1887, d. May 1, 1910 Morgan Co Tennessee
- David Elmer Gunter(7), b. May 1889 Morgan Co Tennessee, d. January 1, 1942 Houston, Harris Co Texas
**Malinda Gunter is a child appearing in the PCH Gunter household on the census of 1900. Most family histories that I have found tend to list her as a child of Mary Elizabeth's, even though virtually all the family histories agree that Mary Elizabeth died prior to 1885. It seems that Malinda was born 1 - 4 years after the death of Mary Elizabeth, but a good 11 months prior to the marriage of PCH and Darthula Dodson. Malinda is a bit of a mystery child.
* Originally published Saturday, Mar 07, 2015, last updated on Saturday, Apr 23, 2016
Like our Facebook Page, Follow Our Posts!